Dorothy Esther Bredall

Born: May 28, 1913

Died: June 29, 2002



Life Sketch - Dorothy Esther Anderson Bredall


On the most northern route to the coast of Oregon in the tiny mill town of Westport, Dorothy Esther was born to Nana & Ward Anderson on May 28, 1913. When the Westport mill closed Dorothy, better known as Esther, and her older brother, Ward, moved with our grandparents, Nana & Ward, to Carlton, Oregon. In Carlton another brother, Robert, was born. Grandma Nana's mother & dad had previously moved to Hardesty, Alberta to farm and encouraged Grandma and Grandpa to join them. So in 1917 the growing family of 5 moved to Canada where another brother, Meldren was born. In Hardesty, Grandpa Ward worked as a doctor for the Canadian Pacific Railroad and farmed.

Some of our mother's fondest memories of her childhood were growing up with 3 brothers and several cousins in Canada. She told us of riding her pony to school. If it were very cold, grandpa would hitch a horse to a sleigh for the trip to school. Sometimes they walked. School was between 2 and 10 miles depending on how much mother wanted to impress upon us the hardships of the prairie. It was always up hill both ways.

Eventually Mom's family tired of the hardships of the farm and the cold and moved back to Oregon. Many of us would not be here today if that choice had not been made. This is the story of how mother met Dad.

Mom joined the Girl Scouts and became friends with a girl named Elizabeth Larsen. As fate would have it, Elizabeth met Mom's older brother, Ward and they started dating. One sunny summer day Elizabeth and Ward decided it would be fun to go to Spirit Lake at the foot of Mt. St. Helens. Of course, they could not make this trip without a chaperoned. Soooo, Elizabeth thought, I have a cousin, Ken Bredall, who lives in Farger Lake who I would love to meet my good friend, Esther. Maybe we could get the two of them together and have chaperones as well. Plans were made and agreed upon. Mom met Dad at his home in Farger Lake, the four of them drove to Spirit Lake with Mom and Dad in the trundle seat of a 1928 Chevrolet. They were married 4 years later. Incidentally, Farger Lake is less than 2 miles from this church where we are meeting today for Mother's funeral.

You may think this story continued with bride's maids and wedding cake, but that was not the case! Mom was about to start her fourth year of normal school majoring in elementary education, but had decided that she was not cut out to be a teacher. Dad was on his way to the University of Oregon, but had not decided upon a major. So they met at the train station, traveled north to Seattle and sought ought a Justice of the Peace. Their nuptials were reported the next day in the Oregonian. When Mom's mom heard the news, she said, "Stop the train!" That was 65 years ago on Sept. 22, 1936. Just last year Dad was heard to say, "If I had it to do over again, I would not change a thing."

Mom and Dad had three children: Norman, Betty, & MaryAnne. Thirty-six years of their married life was spent on a farm just outside of Gresham. We have many happy memories of growing up on that farm. We had farm animals: cows, chickens, sheep, pigs and goats. We had food that Dad grew in our garden and Mom made into wonderful meals. One of her specialties was pie. The rhubarb pie we are serving today for desert was one of her recipes.

We were all terribly worried about how devastating it would be for Mom & Dad to sell their Gresham home after so many years, but they were more resilient than we thought. In 1976 they moved to southern Oregon near Grants Pass to the little town of Williams. Williams is at the end of the road. To leave town, one must make a U turn and go back. Most of Mom & Dad's grandchildren think of Williams, Oregon when they think of Grandma & Grandpa's house. Many happy hours were spent painting rocks, making pinecone decorations and bow and arrows, swimming in the creek, going to the Williams General Store and selling produce at farmer's market. At the appropriate time echoing through the pines you would hear a call: "Cooome and eeeeat." The meal usually consisted of fresh food from the garden. Golden Jubilee corn that could not be picked until the water in which it was to be cooked was boiling. Lemon cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans and, if we were lucky, peas and new potatoes were also on the menu. Ableskivers with jam, maple syrup or powdered sugar was the standard breakfast. We all remember the long walks up Cherokee Lane, Panther's Gulch, or Gray back with Princess the German Shepherd. Sometimes we would find wild blackberries.

After 20 years in Williams Mom & Dad moved back to the Portland area and settled in Milwaukee on Hill Road. No matter where they lived, when Mom put up a few of her decorations it was home to her children and grandchildren.

Mom's primary focus in life was her husband and children. We always knew she loved us. She also loved crocheting, her flower garden, African violets, children, animals, the forest, and the mountains, the beach and trips to Alaska.

Mom, you will be greatly missed. Your legacy of love will continue on in our hearts and the hearts of our children. We will see you in heaven.

Norman, Betty & MaryAnne


gma65tha.jpg (17768 bytes)

Taken September 22, 2001 - Mom and Dad's 65th Anniversary party


casket.jpg (30205 bytes)



floralsprays.jpg (27081 bytes)

One of the floral sprays


decendents.JPG (20907 bytes)

Grandma's descendents


family.jpg (65653 bytes)

Members of the family Celebrating Grandma's Life




Copyright 1998-2003